9.09.2007

movie and music review

right before i left for my trip, G and I went to see once on a high recommendation from my boss as well as 20 other random people here and there. this movie is quite amazingly unpretentious and very charming. the delicate approach that they used to depict a potentially cliche scenario really worked well, (not to mention that i love the movie poster) street musician sings on street, meets girl, make beautiful music together, then you can see what happens when you watch it... Glen hansard, lead singer of the Frames does a really good job at acting and the whole movie had a certain air to it that seemed real and fragile. it reminded me of the old days listening to elliott smith off the Either/Or album and just disappearing into the songs and his voice. soo good!

Once

the day after we went to see the movie, G came home with the movie soundtrack that she got from a guy at work. ultimately this became the soundtrack to my trip to europe... and still kind of is. a little bit of research later, i am now really into the Burn the Maps album by the Frames. There are certain qualities in his voice that remind me so much of Elliott, and that makes me really happy considering he's gone.

final verdict: once and the frames = happy me

2 comments:

McGrathy said...

Ohh good review. I've still to see Once, but I am going to see the Frames at the end of next month. A brilliant live band, they even play some Pixies covers. Ohh and check out Star Star:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMccPJqyg0o

Katie said...

oooh.. i'm so jealous of your upcoming musical adventures!

and that was a really pretty song! thank you for the link :)